Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter in Belize

Easter here in Belize starts on Thursday at Noon. Banks close and everyone goes out of town. Friday most all businesses are closed, buses don't run and its considered a bit of a "bad luck" day. Saturday there is not much going on and then Mass and Church is on Sunday. There is no Easter Bunny and no Easter baskets like in the states. Then here in Hopkins, the school had its Fair and fund raiser on the beach by the church. The posters talk about how the party goes until 3 a.m. on Monday! Then most things are still closed on Monday as it is still a part of the Easter holiday. Now, let me tell you...Belize people throw BIG PARTIES!

For myself, I worked on Easter this year. It didn't feel like a holiday being away from Phil and the family. I did wander down to Beaches and Dreams where I had a fantastic Ham dinner. Beaches and Dreams is owned by a couple from Alaska. They are here October to April. They smoke all their meats and always have fresh fish and seafood. Tony is the Chef and his wife, Angie is a pastry chef. So, I had to have my Easter Chocolate... Well, I took it home and had it the next day. Chocolate Carmel Peanut Tort. SOOOooooo good!


I was also treated to the Full Moon rising. I tried to get a photo, but nothing can do its justice.
















The last thing to share is my beautiful legs.... The locals just stop and say "the sand flies like you!" And they must. I am told that in a few months they will no longer affect me. Yes, they itch so bad!!












3 comments:

Denise said...

oh my what horrible flies. So then you get immune to them after that I take it.It still looks beautiful there. When is a good time to come with out any of the flies, snakes,and other biting things.
HA HA right. the pictures look great.

Denise

Milbrandt's said...

So I am pretty sure I need to come for a visit - when do those flies go away? :)
Miss you!

Bridget said...

Happy Birthday Yesterday!!! I hope you had a good one!