Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cheeseburger in Paradise!

I can see some of you just rolling your eyes in disbelief
and some of you totally understanding our joy!
A few weeks ago now our friends Jim and Lois headed back to Colorado for a little getaway. When we were asked if there was anything we needed from the States we were quick to respond with McDonald's Cheeseburgers! And while they were gone the had emailed me with a question and my response had between every third word {cheeseburger} the old subliminal trick!
Now, I know what you are thinking... who on earth would eat a cheeseburger that came all the way from the States to Belize? Wouldn't it be "bad" by then? Well, I think that our stomachs have just about adjusted to anything from living here. So often foods that are prepared sit unrefrigerated for hours until sold. Hey, we don't live in North America. Things we view as normal in the States, just are not the norm around here. So, Preservative filled Cheeseburgers sitting for 4 hours on a flight and drive formTexas to Belize... no problem!
The cheeseburgers arrived this past Sat... and on Sunday we were invited to have a cocktail with Jim and Lois at Tony and Angela's. I had no idea that the subliminal trick had worked! As a total surprise to me, (they let Phil know the plan so we didn't make dinner plans), ketchup and mustard first arrived to the table. I thought they were joking until a larger tray of Quarter Pounders With Cheese were set in front of us! I was so excited! So Phil and I ate 2 each... and had the stomach ache to prove it for the rest of the night and the next morning... Overdose!!! The last time I had McDonald's was late March when Phil and I went to Mexico. Before that was October 2008 and before that was last fall when I was home. So... for those who love the Golden Arches the way I do... you can just feel my joy. But at the same time, there is a reason I think we have both lost weight living in Belize.
It was a great treat, not as good as fresh, but WONDERFUL none the less!

Lois, Phil, Me and Daniel. Photo by Jim

1 comment:

"Chili Head" said...

Kinda reminds me of "SNL's" John Belushi skit about "Cheeseburgers"...........hope it was all it was built up to be - and then some!