Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Heart of Hunting

It has been a very interesting time learning little bits about the hunting traditions of hundreds of people that come out to this area to hunt Elk and Deer. The hunting seasons run about 1 to 2 weeks at a time and have about 2-4 days between them. We are starting season 2 on Sat. Today was the last day of season 1. So we have hunters coming in form their mountain camps and people heading out to set up their camps. So town will full and so will the cafe and hotel. We at the hotel have noticed the difference in bookings due to the economy...but its all coming around. Hunting season ends on November 15.

I have met a lot of people from Wisconsin, Alabama, Louisiana, Washington state, Washington DC, Georgia and Michigan. The photos below are of men from MI.... the one on the left from Grand Rapid and the one on the right from the UP.

Unlike WI where you wear your license on your back and in MN where you have to register your kill at a station... they don't do that here. I find that odd. I have been told that people will go back out and use the tag again for another kill as long as they don't get caught... You have to have the tag go to the processor but not everyone has their meat processed. the local "DNR" may call your party to see what you took, but there is noting official... IF I am wrong, I would like to hear more but this is what I am told.

Now, the photos may be kinda "gross" to many...but this is hunting at its finest and proudest moments. Just look at the size of these things! I saw them taking photos out front of the hotel and I grabbed my camera too.