Thursday, May 28, 2009

Earthquake!!

Phil and I awoke at around 2:30 this morning wondering what was going on... Then in a bit of a dream state I yelled "The building is collapsing run to the Beach"! Well the building was safe and sound but we were having an earthquake.

For my staff in the village they said it lasted about 2-5 minutes starting with some swaying then it shook hard. A lot of the homes in the village are a simple wood construction and they say their houses just swayed. In Independence, just south of us the water tower fell down and some homes there and in my beloved Monkey River homes were destroyed.

The water level did drop some, but the sunomie warnings were called off before 5 a.m.

I guess this past weekend there was an earthquake in Mexico. Some of Belize's power comes form there and some areas were effected. Also in the past Belize has felt some of the tremmers from quakes in Mexico and Guatemala, but no quakes based here.

When I looked at this map, I cant believe how lucky we are that we didn't get a wall of water or worse damage.

Our first Earthquake. One is enough for us!

Safe and Sound with Love

PandV

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your online comments! I've been trying to find out about Placencia, but most of the news coverage is about Honduras. It sounds like the quake did less damage than a small hurricane, so for that I'm thankful for all of you. A group of us are headed for Placencia June 26 (my husband's and my 7th trip), so I'm feeling better now. Good luck! Martha in Alabama

Atsa4you said...

Thank Goodness you are safe! I heard on the radio this morning and almost ran off the road!

Steve

The Mordorski's said...

Glad to hear that you guys are safe!

Bridget said...

Oh Jeez, I am glad you are safe! Scary!